Manor ISD students looking for internships have two opportunities this summer. The first is as follows:
For their Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP), Travis County is recruiting approximately 1500 students that live within the Travis County area to work this summer. Approximately 750 students will be selected to participate in the Both Employment and Career Opportunity (BEACON) program.
In order to be considered, students must have completed 15 hours of approved pre-employment training (includes a small amount of homework). Along with other agencies, The African American Youth Harvest Foundation (AAYHF) is an authorized SYEP trainer for Travis County and our training consists of two parts:
Part 1: Part 2:
10 a.m.-2 p.m. 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Huston Tillotson University AAYHF
900 Chicon Street 6633 E. Hwy 290, Ste. 100
Austin, TX 78702 Austin, TX 78723
The opportunity to work an average of 96 hours in one of two 5-week sessions during the summer (while earning minimum wage) will be offered to participants.
PLACEMENT IS NOT GUARANTEED.
Session I: June 5, 2017-July 7, 2017 Manor New Tech High School
Session II: July 10, 2017-August 11, 2017
Eligibility Requirements-All students must:
1. Be currently enrolled in school within Travis County.
2. Students must be between the ages 14-17. You can qualify if you are 13 years of age but you must turn 14 on or before April 1, 2017.
3. Students must have a social security card (card must be signed by the student & name must be as it appears on the card.
4. Students must have a photo ID (school ID, state issued ID, passport, or military ID).
5. If the student's ID is state issued, a passport, or military ID, the child must also have a copy of his or her current report card to show proof that he or she is currently enrolled in school and that school is located within Travis County.
If you need further information, please contact 512-428-4480, ext. 203 (Denise Dunkins) or ext. 202 (Victoria Lewis-Dunn)
The second internship:
Summer Youth Employment Program
June 5th to July 7th from 9am -1PM
GET PAID to make a DIFFERENCE!
- Must be 14-18 yrs. of age (14 by April 1st, 2017)
- Youth with disabilities can participate up to 22 yrs.
- Must live in Travis County
- Currently attending school
- Must have a valid social security card & school ID or report card to complete I-9 process
- Complete Job Readiness Training (JRT) - Parent/Guardian must attend first day of JRT
What will you be doing?
This jobsite will be provided by SafePlace’s Expect Respect Program. You will be working with fellow teens on multimedia projects raising awareness about healthy relationships and preventing harassment and abuse. This program has served Travis County for over 20 years and has employed thousands of teens who have gained experience that have helped guide their careers.
How do I apply?
Call the hotline number (512)-854-4590 to sign up for Job Readiness Training
Registration begins January 3th. Call as soon as possible to secure a spot for the Job Readiness Training.